19 August 2011

What I Learned On My Summer Vacation

I'm now officially within the gravitational tug of a new academic year at work.  The meetings have started, classes begin four days from now, and syllabus writing is (too slowly) nearing completion.  I need to sew a button on to one of my pairs of pants before then, and I need to look into a second long-sleeved shirt to teach in as well as a new sweater for when it's cold (after 10 years, the old wool cable knit was just falling apart).   So much to attend to.  I'm glad I'm feeling better.

If this summer's taught me one thing, it's this: stand right where you are and dig in.  No new plants can go in until the bamboo's out, no new habits can form until the old ones are put to rest, no timetable or map can replace responsiveness to conditions.

Actually, I knew that already, but it's good to be reminded of it in so many different ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment