21 October 2010

Bodhidharma Came from the West for This?

I recently came across the title, Jesus Died for This?: A Satirist's Search for the Risen Christ.  I'm not going to buy or read the book, so this is no commentary on it, but I found the premise intriguing: a sympathetically sardonic look at a tradition one loves.

Here's my problem: I'm all too ready to engage in that kind of pastime myself.  Flip my switch, and I can jokingly rip just about anything to shreds, even something I love.

I do not know the author, so this is not about her.  But I do know about me, and I know that when I start in on something like this, I am not doing anything but making myself look good by making others look, well, not so good.

So I say: Yes, Bodhidharma came from the West for all of this!  Every last bit of it.  My foolishness included.

No comments:

Post a Comment