09 September 2011

Radio Silence?

I sometimes mull over the policy we have around here of not following up on members who have lapsed. 

The underlying assumption, best I can make it out, seems to be this: At any given point in time, everyone is so completely at one with exactly what they're doing that it's not proper for anyone else – not even their teacher – to poke, pry or prod. They must know what they're doing.  No one need even bother to ask them about it.

I'm not going to question the policy, since it's not my temple to run.  I do wonder, though, if the assumption holds water, since I happen to have a ready counter-example:

I do not necessarily know what I'm doing at any given point in time.

And my guess is that no one else does, either.

1 comment:

  1. Most of the time I'm not 100% aware of what I'm doing.

    The moments and short periods of being in the present and completely at one with exactly what I'm doing get more frequently though. :)

    ReplyDelete