19 April 2011

Hollywood Ave. & Sheridan Rd.

Coming off Lake Shore Drive from the south one hits the light at Sheridan.  At this point, LSD turns into Hollywood, which empties on to Ridge, which takes me home.

There's a man who begs at that light, and the other day as I was waiting on red, he was making his way past the stopped cars, cup in hand.  I gathered up a bunch of change, rolled down the window, and put the money in his cup.  He reached out, took my hand and squeezed it, thanked me and told me to take good care of myself.  I wished him well, too, and now with a green light in front of me and a line of traffic behind me, I drove on.

I don't know how or why, but I always come away from such an encounter knowing I received much more from him than he did from me.

Now let's hope the weather around here gets better soon.  There are a lot of people who would be happy for warmer hands and feet!

1 comment: