27 March 2013

Bumper Sticker

I'm not one for bumper stickers.  I may have inherited that from my father, who was absolutely resolute about never sticking anything on the car, not even the dealership logo, etc.   I heard once that the number of bumper stickers on a car indicates something about one's anger level – the more stickers, the angrier the driver, no matter what the stickers are for.  Perhaps there's some truth in that, I don't know.  Today I put a bumper sticker on my car, and, I have to admit, it was because I was somewhat ticked:


It's the sticker used by the Human Rights Campaign, a group that advocates for marriage equality.  I've been a member as many years as I've been able to afford it (2 in the past 7 years), but I've always been sympathetic to their cause. 

I put it on my car today because of all the clap-trap surrounding these two days of testimony before the Supreme Court, yesterday on California's Proposition 8, today on DOMA.  The justices seem reticent to make a sweeping judgment, and I have to admit, I agree with their prudential jurisprudence.  On the whole, I'd rather leave things to develop over time and with as broad a base of support as possible.

So I put the sticker on as a way of indicating that I'm yet another person who supports marriage for all, regardless of orientation.  Maybe when folks see it in some parking lot, or on the road, or at the toll plaza, or at the repair shop, they might realize that someone not so very different from them thinks this is a good idea.  Maybe they'll come to think so, too, if they don't already, and the base of support will get just that much wider as a result.  Then maybe this can cease to be such media fodder, and we can all get on with our lives.

Of course, if DOMA gets tossed out on its ass, I won't complain, either!

No comments:

Post a Comment