29 November 2012

The Facebook Privacy Hoax or: Watch Your Friends Amply Demonstrate their Silliness®

I'm sketchy on the details, so don't press me on them, but it seems there's been this hoax connected with Facebook that has Facebookers scurrying to make explicit statements of copyright ownership over what they post to the social networking site. 

I don't know which underlying assumption has me laughing hardest: that Facebook would at all want to copyright the stuff that's on there, or that people feel that what they put up on there is so "theirs" in the first place that they, having already put their laundry out for all to see, should now pretend (in the old-fashioned sense of "pretend to the throne," for it's lordship at issue here) to reserve further exclusive ownership and distribution rights to it.

OK, I do know which, and it's the second of the two.

Look down at the bottom of this page.  See the copyright statement on what you have in front of you.  It's read like that ever since I started this, my own kind of silliness.  I might be a dolt, but I just don't see any other way of making sense of "copyright" in a context such as this, for here as in every other context, "this is not me, this is not mine, this is not what I am."(Maha-Rahulovada Sutta).

No comments:

Post a Comment