24 December 2011

I Believe in Father Christmas

When I was a lot younger there was a song put out by Emerson, Lake and Palmer called "I Believe in Father Christmas."  It doesn't get a lot of (= any) play on the non-stop-holiday-programming stations, probably because it's not exactly all chock full of wonder and cheer:
They sold me a dream of Christmas
They sold me a silent night
And they told me a fairy story
Til I believed in the Israelite

And I believed in Father Christmas
I looked to the sky with excited eyes
Then I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn
And I saw him right through his disguise
Still, it isn't completely Grinchy, either, and it ends on a charitable, if rather sober, note:
I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave New Year
All anguish, pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear

They said there'd be snow at Christmas
They said there'd be peace on earth
Hallelujah, Noel, be it heaven or hell
The Christmas we get we deserve
Well, for what it's worth, here's my take on the matter:
I believe in Father Christmas
I believe in the Israelite
I believe that Peace-Is-With-Us
I believe in that Silent Night

For I know that there lies within us
All the good there is yet to do
Let's start once again with a foe or a friend
And a new kind of dawn with break through

And I know that there's snow at Christmas
But also sun, sleet and wind and rain
The peace that we want for Christmas
Comes all the same in our joy and pain

No need for help from distant planets
No need to search near or far away
There's one thing to do, it's simple, it's true:
Wake up and know, "It's a good day"

No comments:

Post a Comment