12 July 2011

Nothing To Be Ashamed Of

I find no stumbling-block in the robe of the Buddha.

So when I heard from a high-standing Zen priest that he doesn't wear the robe and kesa when officiating at weddings, opting instead for a well-tailored shirt and rakusu, I was kind of surprised.  He explained that he thought the robe and kesa might be confusing or off-putting to people in attendance who were not familiar with Buddhism or Zen.

I do not now know – and I may never know – what it means to wear the robe and kesa, but I do know that I will not apologize for it or keep it in the closet to avoid coming across as strange.  Were I ever forced to get rid of everything in my closet except one outfit, I think the robe and kesa would be the last things left. 

I simply find no stumbling-block in the robe of the Buddha.

No comments:

Post a Comment