29 June 2011

I Wouldn't Change a Thing

"It is like not wishing for more color or brightness when viewing flowers or the moon."
– Dōgen
Long ago I used to be taken with Marx's XIth Thesis on Feuerbach: "Philosophers have hitherto only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."  I, too, thought that the forward motion of humanity required strenuously bringing the real into compliance with the rational.  I, too, thought that progress was the order of the day, that death and disease and famine and flood were fixable problems.  I, too, thought that the status quo was not good enough.  I, too, had a list of things that needed elimination and a list of things that needed to be helped along.

Cracks me up now.

I open my eyes these days and realize, "I wouldn't change a single thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment