03 June 2011

The Grumpy Buddhist

The other day a friend of a friend, knowing I practiced Zen, said to me, "We had a service at my church that incorporated principles of the Buddhist faith."  When I asked him what that meant, since I didn't quite understand what that would look like, he looked confused.

He then said, "Well I go to a church that says all paths are valid."

I said, "That may be, but you still have to pick one and stick with it some to begin to get anywhere."

Later, when I was far out of earshot, he told my friend that he was surprised I was so "opinionated" for being a Buddhist, since Buddhists are supposed to be "open" and "accepting."

Poor guy, seems no one ever told him that Buddhism is about cutting through delusion and putting an end to defilement.

No comments:

Post a Comment