27 November 2010

"Full-Time Job or Avocation?"

I was asked recently whether being a priest at a Zen center was a full-time job or more of an avocation.

How could I explain that, when at the end of my ordination ceremony my preceptor said, "You have now entered the Way as an ordained Buddhist priest," it means something like
I sit, stand, walk and lie down as a priest
I breathe as a priest
I eat as a priest
I pursue my employment as a priest
I do zazen as a priest
I pursue relationships as a priest
I am a son, brother, father and uncle as a priest
I drive as a priest
I lose my temper as a priest
I get lazy as a priest
I get lost in habit energy as a priest
I have moments of insight as a priest
I am a real pain in the ass as a priest
I am confused as a priest, and
I suffer and will die as a priest?
So we talked about our day jobs, the ins-and-outs of commutes and family life, and I would say that that was just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment